Thursday, September 2, 2010

Life's Cliches Coming True

B on his first day of preschool.

It's a little unnerving when the things you always hear people say actually start to happen to you.
Things like "Your kids will learn which buttons to push and then they'll smash the buttons to pieces." People say things like that when you're in your weakest moments at the grocery store and your kids are being savages and you're about to do one of two things: rip your hair out or rip open a bag of M&M's to pacify the beasts.
Tuesday another one of those things happened to me. The inevitable "They grow up so fast! One day you're changing a newborn diaper and the next you're sending them to school!"
It's insanity. Insanity I tell you. The years go by and although B is only 4, I feel like he is changing and growing without my knowledge or consent.
Tuesday was his first day of preschool, and after donning some new school clothes and his brand-new "Buzz n' Woody pack pack" he was off to un-mothered territory. Frightening and happy at the same time for his parents. Absolutely thrilling for him.
As for all those things people say, I'll take them one day at a time.

6 comments:

Dave and Lacey said...

You are so funny! Love reading your posts! I am already dreading some of those cliches and I don't even have a kid yet. I bet he had a great time at school! It was fun hanging out with you guys the other day!

Stephanie H. said...

That's just crazy. Wow, 4 seems young to be starting school! But I guess that is the way it works... next year kindergarden???

ScottNLili said...

Isn't it amazing that we've created such wonderful children? I think it's so cool that we can all be moms together.
Hows about some canning 101 for your favorite cousin? I would like to show my husband we could survive a famine with my mad cannin'skillz. :)
lemme know.

The Forrest Family said...

Yeah I am so glad your in SLC!! That is exciting Tyler is graduating in December and we are moving, to Elko Nevada. I am grateful for the job just not the place yet. Hopefully that will change sooner then later. Your boys look so big I can't believe it! So what half marathon are you going to do in November? Maybe I will do it with you.

RileyandChristinaShaw said...

That's crazy:) He looks so grown up:) That's what i try to do: Take it one day at a time!!

Cathie said...

Emily, you said it! My babies are growing too and I am not sure it is okay! B is a super cute guy! Good job on running the Ragnar! Good luck with your 1/2. I am doing one in two weeks and then I am going to take it easy for a bit! :)