Monday, September 22, 2008

Hives, Harleys, and a Day at the Park

It's been a crazy couple of weeks and it's time for an update. The last time I posted, we had taken Brenner to the Doctor and got him on a sulfa antibiotic. He did great on it for 5 days and then WHAMMO hives. Same story, different medicine. So he was on Benedryl 24 hrs a day until they went away. When I called the Doctor's office to tell them the nurse just said "Oh no, let me talk to the Doctor and call you back." Sounds great right? It gets better! After talking to him she called back and said the reaction to this drug is particularly bad and to watch him closely for sores on his eyelids and diaper area. Wonderful. Of course my major concern was the fact that he is now allergic to penicillin AND sulfa drugs, but the nurse assured me that we still had options for antibiotics, but they were limited, and of course, expensive. Now begins the battle to keep him healthy. One would think this is relatively easy, but Brenner is.. special. Even though I try to keep a pretty clean house, we are not always at home. He is a busy boy, touching everything and getting into everything. I have armed myself with hand sanitizers and I hope this winter goes ok for the immune-challenged 2-and-a-half-year-old and brand new baby. I am optimisitic.
Here are the hives, this is the second day when they were a lot better.
After that was over, we went to Salt Lake to spend some time with my family. My cousin Holly and I took Brenner and her two girls, Mckenzie and Savannah, to the West Jordan Park. I had never been there and I think it's one of the most fun public parks I've ever seen. There were castles and slides and all kinds of fun building-type structures to run around in. The kids had a great time. This is Brenner and Mckenzie in one of the castles:
Friday I had a birthday lunch with my brother and sister-in-law, mom, and step-dad. After lunch we walked out of the restaurant and Brenner saw Craig's Harley sitting in the parking lot. He was like a moth to a flame! So we put him and Eva on it and I had to snap some pictures because I thought it was a good laugh and Brenner loved it. Nicky's hot elbow also made it into the picture.

Today was another baby appointment and we were quick in and out with the usual "Everything looks great! Any questions or problems? No? Ok see ya!" It's kind of funny because Travis and Brenner usually accompany me to these little appointments and Brenner now knows that this guy is going to give him a sucker and a sticker every time. So as soon as Dr. Horsley walks in the door Brenner can hardly contain himself and blurts out "Sucker please! Scooby Doo sticker!" and tah dah! His wish is granted. Thanks Dr. H.

6 comments:

Cam Ballou said...

Poor guy :( That sucks. Your due date is getting close, I can't believe it! Can't wait to see everyone in Park City in a few weeks!

Jody said...

Awe, his little hiveys look so sad. Don't you just want to just give him extra smooches on those days? I hope he's doing better. That pic of Brenner and Eva on the hog is awesome. I laughed out out and knew from your blog title that you must have been with Craig ha ha. Is it your Birfday? If so, here's to you!! Hope it was a good one!!

PS. love love Luuuuuuv your new blog 'do' it's super cool

ScottNLili said...

You can thank his allergies to meds on the ballou side. Everyone is allergic to any 'cillin'. Sucks. But at least you know early. He is such a cute boy, I cant wait for your next one. I will however hate your guts if you have him before I have Cali. But I have a feeling you'll go early again. Im doomed to be pregnant forever I think. New babies everywhere for us! See you in a couple weeks, we will have much fun!

Cam Ballou said...

Cute page - where did you get it??

Nicole said...

Oh no! I'm sorry about the elbow. Way to ruin a cute picture, huh? That was so funny- I loved the doo rag. I have to say that I do love the new clothes on your blog- very cute...

The Reimers Family said...

How miserable, poor little guy!