Friday, November 6, 2009

Healthy Eating

There are a lot of foods that I choke down because of their health benefits. While oatmeal isn't on top of my "eat because you have to" list, it certainly isn't one of my favorite breakfasts. I eat it because it fils me up and I'm not ravenous in an hour. Plus I know it's good for me and yadda yadda yadda.

One morning while I was staring at my bowl of oats, B asked for a taste. I thought about the possibility of him barfing- because after all, it's Brenner, and lastnight I thought he was going to lose it while watching me eat my broccoli. But I was interested in what his response might be and I needed to mop the floor anyway, so I gave him a little bite.

He ate it and asked for more.

The next morning and many many mornings thereafter he has requested oatmeal. It's foreign to me why he would choose this over frosted mini-wheats, eggs, or french toast, but I oblige him with a huge helping of fiber-rich, healthy oatmeal.
And I can sleep peacefully, because I know my kid's digestive tract is regular, and because oatmeal, in the immortal words of Russell "Keeps the heart-attacks away."

2 comments:

Jody said...

whoot whoot!! we're big oatmeal eaters over here too. I usually put a little milk (or half and half if I'm splurging, it's so good) along with some fresh fruit in it and my kids lap it up. Go Brenner!!

Jody said...

I also thought to myself when I read this "that is the 'Adams' in that kid if I've ever heard of it" lol, Grandma Adams would be proud! :)